Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Lab #3 Neogeography

Neogeography means "new Geography." It is a way to personalize and customize map making for your own personal interest. In my case I chose some gardens and farms around LA because I love urban farming and gardening and wanted to show some of the amazing spots around LA. Most people would never think that they could learn about permaculture and organic farming right in the middle of Los Angeles, a huge, concrete metropolitan area. Neogeography can show others specific details about an area that they would otherwise never know or think about. It allows you to put in images and representations of your place of interest other than just a point on a map. It personalizes the map making experience as well as simplifies it. Neogeogrphy also allows you to integrate your personal research into a map. In my case, I researched where the different gardens and farms were and a little bit about them, then placed them on my map. It is a very useful tool.

1 comment: